Ask Ina

My question is about ice cream scoops. I'm not a great baker and my cookies are different sizes; my cupcakes and muffins are flat or way over the rim. I see that scoops are either numbered or marked by oz's and I have a collection that have no markings. What size is best and how do I tell what size my scoops are?

From Cheryl - Portland, OR

To make sure that my baked goods are uniform in size, I use a standard 2 1/4" rounded scoop for muffins and cupcakes, and a standard 1 3/4" rounded scoop for cookies. I would recommend using a ruler to measure the diameter of your scoops.